Take Every Thought Captive


I was able to share with a group of moms a couple nights ago.  I thought I'd include what I shared and what God is working with me on here too. 

God has been opening my eyes to my own weaknesses and the areas of my heart that he wants to work on.  It’s funny, because it usually starts by me seeing something in one of my kids that I don’t really like.  I start praying for them about it, and then realize that I am struggling with it too. 

My adopted daughter goes to therapy and as I was researching Cognitive Behavior Therapy I saw something they do that made me laugh inside, it reminded me of God telling us to take every thought captive. Everything that works seems to go back to what God told us to do thousands of years ago.  In therapy they draw a big triangle on the floor.  Each point is labeled, thoughts, words, actions.  The idea is that if you are thinking something, you will eventually say it and then it will come out in your actions.  For a child it might be the thought, “I can’t do this, I’m stupid” The words then come out…"This is stupid, and I can’t do it."  The actions are folded arms and stomping.  They then teach the child to go back to the first label and instead think, hmm this is a little hard, I need to some help.  They then say, “Can you please help me to do this.” And their actions follow with smiles and excitement as they learn how to do the task. 

I realized I needed this too.  I went from thinking things like these kids are driving me crazy, I can’t do this, to becoming angry.  I started thinking well they never listen unless I yell.  I guess I’m going to have to yell to get through to them.  I started feeling myself getting angrier and angrier at their antics.  I still am struggling with this.

As I’m getting angry I feel my chest start to tighten, so the other night I read this verse on anger and it spoke to me. Eccles 7:9 “Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the bosom of fools.” Wow I thought, anger resides in the bosom of fools. I don’t want to have anger live in my chest and I don’t want to be a fool.  I don’t want to have a hardened heart and poor attitude.  I know people who seem constantly angry and easily provoked and I don’t want to be one.  I looked up a bunch of Bible verses about anger and started to write them down.  I want to commit to read them over and over, memorizing them and pray to God about them.  I realize that the kids God gave me are not the reasons I am truly angry.  Truly it’s because I’m being inpatient, I want things done on my time table, and I then lose my self-control.  The interesting thing is that I tell my son over and over again each day, have self-control. Then I turn around and yell because they did something I didn’t like.  I don’t want to be a hypocrite.  I need to have self- control too especially with anger. 

So here are some verses and prayers I put together to help all of us as parents check our own hearts and to take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ. 


2 Corinthians 10:5

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.


When our thoughts are of defeat we need to take them captive and replace them with truth. When we tell ourselves things like, “I can’t do this.” “My kids have too many needs.” “I am too weak, worn out…I can’t (___fill in the blank____) or I don’t know enough about (_______ ) instead we need to tell ourselves the truth from God’s word.

·      Phillippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  (I can do whatever God has called me to do, through his strength.  God help me to be a patient mom today.)

·      2 Corinthians 12:9-10  “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.”  Therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.  I am content with weakness, insults, distresses, persecutions and difficulties, for Christ’s sake, for when I am weak, then I am strong.  (God thank you for these weaknesses to remind me that I need you and not exalt myself or rely on my works.  Be strong through me and in me in this situation.)

·      Hebrews 10:35-36 Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised. (God help me to walk in confidence. I know you have given me these children and this role. Help me to endure in doing your will.)

When our thoughts are of anger saying, “My children make me so mad.  If they would just listen I wouldn’t have to yell.  I didn’t used to be an angry person.” Step back and remember that it is not another person’s fault or blame when we lack self-control and act out in anger.

·      Ephesians 4:26 In your anger do not sin. Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry and do not give the devil a foothold. (Lord you know the angry thoughts I have, please take them.  I do not want to sin in my anger.  I do not want to give the devil a foothold.  Lord take this anger and give me your perspective and peace.)

·      Proverbs 29:11 Fools give full vent to their rage, but the wise bring calm in the end. (God I do not want to be a fool but wise, take these angry thoughts Lord and help me to have self-control, not giving full vent to my anger.)

·      James 1:19-20 My dear brothers and sisters (moms and dads) take note of this, everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger DOES NOT produce the righteousness of God. (Lord Jesus help me to listen well to my children and my husband.  Help me to be slow to anger, Lord I want to produce your righteousness in my life and in the life of my family.)

·      Ephesians 4:30-31 Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling, slander and every form of malice. Be kind to one another tender hearted, forgiving each other just as God in Christ has forgiven you. (Jesus I do not want to grieve you, take all the feelings of anger and frustration from me today Lord, may my words and actions and even my looks be kind and tender hearted toward my children.  May I be quick to show them your forgiveness and love and not model bitterness, rage, anger, or slander.  Give me a renewed heart and strength to do your will today.)

Be blessed today as you seek God to lead you and take every thought captive to honor our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 

Comments

Most Popular Posts