Fathers

Growing up I didn't see much of my father.  I lived in a different state most of my life and received the occasional cards.  As a child, I thought my father was some kind of amazing hero and one day he'd come rescue me. I imagined I'd live with him and life would be perfect.  Well, that was not the case.  Even if I had gone to live with him I know now that life would have been far from perfect.  I wanted a father that would: dote on me, tell me how precious I was to him, protect me and lead me and challenge me.  I later found that father in Jesus Christ.  The father I always wanted but my dad did not have the ability to be.

When I met my husband and we married I understood more through him about the love of  Christ and the bride.  I understood more of the Bible and the verses about a bride and bridegroom through my relationship with my husband.  Now, watching him as a father to our children I can understand Father God more. I see the Father through out the Bible and the way HE longs to be there for HIS children. The way HE longs for them to do right and the way HE, at times, has to step back and allow us to make mistakes.

 My husband is the kind of father who wants to come home and play with his kids. He doesn't spend time shooing them away to watch tv or spend time with sports. As a matter of fact we don't own a t.v and he's not really a sports nut. Just as our heavenly father,  he doesn't say send the children away, he says bring them to me. He comes home from a long day at the office and he's surrounded with arms to hug him and welcome him home in unison. He spends time with us as we pray, eat and talk together.  He then ends up on the living room floor with three kids climbing on him.  He's the scary bear, or the pony ride. He's great at getting them giggling and making up stories.

I love watching my husband rejoice in his children.  He laughs with them.  He gets excited about what they are learning and doing. They bring him joy.  Like the heavenly father,  he rejoices in their joy and desires to see them happy with good gifts. 

My husband works hard to earn a living to support us. He works hard so we can pay all our bills without me needing to leave home and our children to work. He has a plan and desire for their lives and upbringing, just as God has a plan and desire for us. 

When our children do wrong, he wants to lead them to do right.  He wants to show them the error of their ways and set them on the right path.   He turns them to Christ and shows them how to do better.  He leads by example just as Jesus did for us.

He is a protector to them.  Whether he's protecting them for the invisible monster, praying with them against fears or holding them close to protect them from real danger, he does it without pause or delay.  From addressing fears to addressing modesty and all the things in between he sees ahead to the possible outcomes and protects them by leading them in a way that protects their souls. I know he can't always be there to protect them, but Christ can.  They both desire the best for my children and I can not trust anyone more.

I think my husband is a pretty amazing father.  I see many attributes of our heavenly father in him.  As he leads us he looks to the LORD.  This Father's Day I want to honor my husband for the amazing man he is and the way he leads.  Don't forget to acknowledge the father's in your life today and let them know the ways they point you back to the true Father.

See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are. For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. 2Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is. 
1 John 3:1

Comments

Most Popular Posts