Birthday Party Fun

I love birthday parties.  They are a time of fun and creativity and joy in my home.  It's also a time where I see everyone working together to help someone else have a good day.  I love how my oldest will use her artistic abilities to create posters or games for her siblings.  They all seem to pitch it and try to make the day a great one.

We do parties big in my home. I think I have an all time favorite party theme for each of my kids.  We've done all kinds of parties, princess tea parties, cars, dinosaurs, super hero, pool parties, those were all fun, but they weren't my favorites.

My favorite party for my son was when we did a science party.  This was before you could find science party favors at Hobby Lobby or on the PBS kids website.  We set up an experiment table in the dinning room and when the guest arrived they put on nerd glasses, which were actually Groucho Marx glasses, that we removed the nose and mustache from and added tape to the middle.  They also got a science badge and had to take a green gummy "antibiotic" before scanning their hand on a laminated handprint and entering the lab.  The "lab" was closed off by plastic table cloths.  The guests all sat on the floor.  While the birthday boy and myself called up volunteers and did experiments together.  We made "elephant toothpaste", a little volcano, filled a balloon with air from a water bottle filled with baking soda and other ingredients.  We did one experiment that everyone found fascinating.  You put milk in a shallow dish, drop food coloring in 4 separate spots not touching each other.  Then you put one drop of liquid dish soap on a tooth pick and stick it in the center of the colors and watch what happens.  It was very cool! The kids had a great time. They then ate a cake that had a petri dish on top, and they took home skinny beakers filled with candy and a glow stick necklace.  It was by far my son's favorite birthday party and the most memorable one.  Using the periodic table we spelled out his name and Science.  He kept that up in his room for years.  Now it's tucked safely in a binder.  He only took it down because we painted.

My eldest daughter is big into spy stuff.  We had two years of parties with a mystery to solve.  The last one was a scavenger hunt around our town for clues. It was a lot of fun.  The one before we stayed home but had a mystery to solve using a science mystery kit, we also timed the kids as they went through a "laser" maze made of red string.  They then had to pop a balloon at the end of the maze and bring the clue inside back to help solve their crime. We had a lot of fun and even played a glow in the dark capture the flag game.  It was a lot of fun too.

One of my favorites for my second daughter was a spa party.  We made our own lip balm, soaked feet, did a manicure and pedicure and covered their faces in avocado cream.  It was a very fun girly party.  My older daughter did a mother daughter one for one of her birthdays.  That was pretty fun and special too.

My favorite party for my youngest was by far our art party.  I made her a little dress out of fleece with felt pain splotches and a beret to match along with a large paint brush made from a pool noodle and fake grass from the dollar tree.  I found aprons on clearance and fabric markers that the guest decorated.  They also each painted a canvas board, and made a small pop-sickle stick frame that they decorated.  We served cupcakes on paint palettes and the kids got to decorate them with gummies, candies, sprinkles or other frosting.  All of which had natural food dye, some from India tree and some from our local Natural Grocers. They had a blast doing the art things.  We spent about 20 minutes on each activity and had time to eat, and open presents.

We just had the art party this weekend.  It was a very fun day, and everyone was helpful and kind to one another all day.  This is our third time celebrating a birthday with our youngest.  I can't believe time has gone by that quickly! I'm so glad she's been able to celebrate three fun birthday's with us and I look forward to many more!

I love getting to be creative as I plan and prepare for birthday parties.  Feel free to share your favorite party ideas.

Comments

Most Popular Posts