Be Like Little Children

There are days when no matter how good they may be, they are long.  Nights you just wish everyone would hurry and be asleep so you could have 15 minutes of quiet.  As I was putting my kids to bed, it was one of those nights. Stories seemed to never end with the constant questions and side talk, bedtime was just dragging on.  With lights out we prayed, I sang and it was time for them to be sleeping, yet they had so many stories they wanted to tell me.  I had spent the entire day with them, and yet they still had things to share.

"Remember, Mommy, at the play when the man sat on the cupcake?"

"Yes I remember," I thought–it was only a few hours ago.

They were so filled with awe and wonder and excitement.  I, on the other hand, was tired and ready to sleep.  I said, "Okay we're going to play the quiet game," thinking this will get them to be super quiet and they'll fall asleep, no more stories.  My littlest, with her head on my lap, started whispering everything to me.  I said, "Honey you're gonna loose the quiet game and not get a prize in the morning. You have to be quiet."  She tilts her head with those big innocent eyes and says, "But I am being quiet. I'm talking in my quiet voice."  I had to laugh. I pushed back her uneven cut bangs and looked into those big smiling eyes and decided I could listen to a few more stories in her quiet voice.

I was reminded how Jesus said,  "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." (Mathew 19:14)  and "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. (Mathew 18:3) 
I thought about how though I was with my children the entire day they still longed for more time with me.  They want my company, to be in my presence, to talk and laugh and be held.  We are supposed to be like these little children, seeking God, desiring God's presence, wanting to just lay with our head in our dear Heavenly Father's lap and keep whispering into the night.  
As our children grow they start to desire less time in our presence and think they know more, they can do it on their own.  How often do we act like rebellious teenagers toward God, doing it our own way, instead of like little children?

My prayer is to be more like my kids in this,  to follow my Heavenly Father around all through the day and into the night, praying without ceasing, desiring him and his presence. I hope you will make that your prayer too. 

Comments

Most Popular Posts