Gluten Free Hot Cocoa Cup Cakes

My kids sometimes feel like they never get to have REAL food.  They see all the pretty frosted cupcakes with sprinkles and wish they too could have them.  My eldest remembers when she used to eat this kind of food all the time.  I have figured out ways to make most of the things they loved and switch it up to be gluten free and dye free.  One of my favorite findings was India Tree sprinkles.  The sprinkles are fabulous!  They are brightly colored, look like the real deal, but they are made with fruit and vegetable dyes, not toxic coal tar like the normal FD&C dyes are.  I love India Tree.  They have food coloring, sprinkles and all kinds of things. Make sure you look at their Nature's Colors line if you want it free of numbered dyes.
(They have no clue I'm endorsing them and I don't get any kick backs.  I just like them.)

My latest cupcakes I made with hot cocoa.  It was a fun experiment from start to finish, and my kids loved them.  I couldn't keep their fingers from snatching them all up!  My husband is normally  my hardest critic.  He even said these were good, which means a lot!  So give them a try!

Ingredients
1 c. gluten free oat flour 
1/4 c. coconut flour
1/4 c. tapioca starch
1 t. zanthan gum
1/2 t. salt
2 t. baking soda
3 organic eggs
1/3 c. milk (any kind)
1/2 c. honey
1 c. boiling water
1/2 c.  organic cocoa mix

Frosting:
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. sour cream
1/4 c. tapioca starch
2 T. syrup (more till desired sweetness)



1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease muffin pan or line it. I use my silicon muffin shapes.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients except cocoa mix. Pour in wet ingredients except boiling water.  Mix together until well blended. It will be very thick. Boil water and dissolve 1/2 c. of organic cocoa mix.  Add it to batter.  Mix on high till it is all combined.  It will be more runny. fill cup cakes paper with 1/4 c. scoop.  It will make 1 dozen.
3. In a separate bowl using a wire whisk beat together the butter and sour cream.  Add tapioca starch 1/4 c. at a time until it's the desired consistency.  Then add syrup to make the right sweetness. 
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes.  Then cool completely before frosting.  Then add sprinkles and enjoy.  This frosting will melt if it gets too hot.  It tastes like a cream cheese frosting.

*Another variation of this is to add yogurt instead of sour cream. 

I hope you enjoy these yummy cup cakes.  Have you tried India Tree sprinkles before? Is there a special way you color your frostings without regular food dye?  Tell us about it!

Comments

Most Popular Posts