Young at Heart: Swings Anyone

Summer is in the air.  I realize the exact date of summer hasn't hit us on the calendar, but summer is still in the air.  I can tell as my kids fill water balloons and soak our porch, sporting bathing suits.  The days get hot quicker and the nights are filled with thunderstorms cooling off the humid air.  It's summer to me and in summer it's easier for me to abandon my to-do-lists and be young at heart.

I still haven't finished all the school books I wanted to get done for the year, but that's okay.  I'm sure we can catch up on rainy days or when it's too hot to go outside.  So for now I'm going to lay those things aside and enjoy.

Enjoy is a verb.  It's an action word. It's doing something that brings you joy or cheer.  When you do something it effects your whole body.  The smile spreads. Others are touched.  It makes your heart cheerful, and a cheerful heart is a good thing!

 So for this day of being young at heart, finding joy I take on the swings. Remember being kids and swinging up so high that you can feel like you're flying.  I did that plenty of times, but my all time favorite as a kids was to have someone twist me up in the swing and then push it high and let it unwind with me enjoying the ride of a lifetime.  I decided I needed to teach my kiddos there was more to swings than gliding through the air; there is also spinning like a helicopter at top speed.  So I twisted myself up, belly on the swing,  arms open wide, feet tucked under for optimal speed, explaining this was THE way to really ride on a swing.  I took off!  What a ride!  I don't think I've laughed that hard in a long time.  My kids were all amazed and laughed too, as did the on-looking park children.  I then stepped aside, in my dizzy state, and watched as the kids took turns trying the amazing feat they just witnessed.  What delight, and cheer was spread on the playground. 

As you look at your summer days, take time out to do the simple things again.  The local park is full of opportunities for fun and laughter, even for you, the Grown Up. May you have a cheerful heart today!

A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. 
Proverbs 17:22

Comments

Most Popular Posts