Gluten Free Maple Syrup "Sugar" Cookies

What a thrilling Thursday.  I love baking and today I decided to make cookies and a cake using maple syrup in place of the sugar.  The gluten free cookies were delicious.  I thought I'd be a little more thrilling and frost them using essential oils!  So what you see before you is a wonderful sugar cookie, with a crispy outside and a melt in your mouth core, covered in buttercream frosting with lemon essential oil added.  It's so good! So I already had a gluten free sugar cookie recipe but I wanted to see if I could make sugar cookies without the sugar.  Sounds insane I know.  So I converted my old recipe and used maple syrup.  It turned out wonderful.  So without further ado here are your gluten free sugar free cookies!!

 So I'm sure you'd like to know the recipe now and stop hearing about how terrific it tastes.  

Ingredients:
1 1/4 c. maple syrup 
1 c. organic butter
3 egg yolks
1 t. vanilla extract (or almond) I LOVE almond!
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. cream of tartar
1 c. gluten free oat flour
1 c. rice flour
1/2 c. tapioca starch
1 t. zanthan gum

Directions: 
 Cream butter and syrup.  It will look odd, not creamy.  More like little butter balls with syrup.  Don't worry, keep going.  Then beat in egg yolks and extract of choice. Then add all the dry ingredients.  It will mix into a smooth cookie dough.  Spoon on to cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and let sit for 1 minute to cool.  Then frost or don't and enjoy.

You can make regular butter frosting with 6 TB butter, 1 cup powdered sugar and a teaspoon of milk.  However you make the frosting add some drops of your favorite essential oil like peppermint or lemon and enjoy the distinct flavor!
 

Comments

Most Popular Posts