Back in the Saddle



I wrote recently about my oldest getting bucked off a horse and putting her riding on hold. Her doctors had told her no riding for a month.  It was a long month of listening to books on tape and staying off the trampoline, the bike and other hazards. We had told her she was sitting out of 4h horse program, and we thought that was that. 

Then we got a call from the 4h horse leader saying that a family was offering their horse for my daughter to ride.  This families oldest had graduated and was now helping with the horse program, they had heard what happened and wanted to offer their older, very broke horse for my daughter to use.  I explained she was still on riding restriction, but we agreed to sign up this horse, Rooster, for 4h under my daughter.

My heart swelled within me as I saw this family not only let my daughter ride their horse, but take their time to give her private lessons. The other older 4H girls gave her pointers. A friend stopped by unexpected to drop off a English helmet and jacket the day we had to sign up for which classes she would compete in. An older girl gave her English boots to wear too.  It seemed like every time we turned around she was being blessed with something to help her ride.  After riding Rooster only 3 times she was in a open horse show and won multiple trophies and enjoyed the day.  After that she rode English 3 times and it was time for fair.  It was amazing to see her out there after only riding a handful of times on this horse.  She entered every class doing English and western and was able to win multiple first place prizes. She ended up as the High Point Champion for our county.

I can't even put words to the pride in my heart seeing my daughter's dreams of riding English and Western, and getting to jump come true.  Still looming in my mind is the worry of what the abnormal CT scan means, and what the MRI will show, but right now I rejoice.  I rejoice that she not only got to learn and ride and win, but she got to know older riders that encouraged her and spoke into her life.  She saw that life is not like the movies.  That the riders don't root for themselves alone, and bicker and fight over nonsense things, instead they give to one another and cheer each other on.  It was a beautiful experience.  I'm so glad that she didn't have to stay out of the saddle!




Comments

Most Popular Posts